Tuesday, April 21, 2009

13 Miles Later...

Provo city's annual Half-Marathon, 5k and Walk for Autism took place on a rainy Saturday morning, right before Conference. I dragged my little sisters, husband, and brother-in-law out of bed at five-thirty in the morning to participate int the grand event. With the promise of free t-shirts, Sarah and Will were somewhat willing. Megan and Sterling had high aspirations to pr in the 5k, or just help out for a good cause.
The proceeds from the run went to help my school, Clear Horizons Academy, and the students I work with. I begged for donations from strangers the week before, roped family and friends into the event, and enlisted the help of teenagers from my other part-time job. I was grateful to the Provo girls' group home for arriving at six in the morning to help with set-up. They did a fantastic job cheering on the runners and providing much-needed beverages.
Now, for the part you all care about--the race. Megan and Sterling put forth a magnificent effort in the 5k. Sterling ended up getting third place in his age category, running the race in a little over twenty minutes. Hooray for Sterling!
Christine, Tanis, Nate, and I all ran the half-marathon. I made a new friend while running. Crystelle and I kept pace for the first nine miles and encouraged each other on. I finished in one hour, fifty minutes, averaging an 8:30 min mile. Hopefully I can keep the same pace for the upcoming marathon.

Here I am dragging myself across the finish line.
Tif, Nate, and Tanis at the finish. (We couldn't find Christine.)
The family: Sterling (he's wearing his cool medal), Megan, Sarah, me, Will--all sporting our shirts from the run.
Thanks for all the help and support family and friends!

2 comments:

Jean said...

Wow, good for you!

I have this goal in the recesses of my soul that one day I will run a half-marathon. Not a full marathon, I honestly think that would kill me, but a half, because that's a significant distance.
Especially considering I couldn't run the stupid mile and a half in high school.

kori said...

nice half marathon time!! good luck on your upcoming marathon lil' champ!